The battery is the most important part of your laptop. A healthy battery makes the laptop more efficient and reliable. There are many benefits for having your battery maintained, such as work saving and more time to complete your tasks because of the long period that your laptop can last without charging.
But what should you do if your battery is damaged? How do you even know that it is time to change your battery? and how much does it cost to replace a laptop battery ? Are batteries fixable or do you have to change them at the slightest warning of an issue?
There are many questions related to battery health and how to deal with its problems, there are also many inquiries about when and how to change a laptop’s battery, and at how much does it cost to replace a laptop battery? and that could be very confusing.
But not to worry anymore, because we have prepared a detailed guide for you to answer all these pressing questions, and give you more knowledge on the way, so stick with us!
Table of Contents
- 1 What is the average life of a laptop battery?
- 2 How to Know When It’s Time to Replace Your Laptop’s Battery?
- 3 Why Your Laptop’s Battery Capacity Declines?
- 4 How is the battery replacement cost determined?
- 5 How to Perform a Laptop Battery Replacement?
- 6 FAQs Of How Much Does It Cost to Replace a Laptop Battery
- 7 Final Thoughts
What is the average life of a laptop battery?
The first thing you need to know is the average lifespan of a battery. This depends on many things such as the battery type, how often you use your laptop, how you use it and maintain the health of the battery, and finally, the type of environment in which you use the laptop whether it is hot or cold.
On average, a battery can last between 2-5 years. approximately 1000 full charges.
After that, it will start to lose its ability to keep the charge as it can be affected almost by half. So if it works for 4 hours, it can be decreased to 2 hours only.
How to Know When It’s Time to Replace Your Laptop’s Battery?
There are many signs that will warn you that it is time to change the battery for good, so make sure you notice them.
1- Windows Will Warn You
You would think that the windows keep you up to date with the battery’s power level, but it actually doesn’t. You will notice that the battery drains fast, and it doesn’t last the hours you are used to. This will happen until the battery reaches a very low capacity level, and that is when the windows start to warn you.
What will happen is that you are going to see a red X appear on the standard battery icon in your system tray, when you click it, the windows will show you a message that you should “consider replacing your battery.” you will also be warned that due to issues with the battery, your laptop may shut down suddenly. This warning means that your battery can’t hold enough of a charge to power your laptop for long when it’s not connected to an outlet.
Checking Your Laptop’s Battery Capacity
There is a third-party tool option so you can know exactly how the laptop’s battery capacity has declined. We recommend NirSoft’s free BatteryInfoView, it helps you by displaying the battery’s approximate wear level, the capacity it was designed to have, and the capacity it currently has.
For example, if the battery was designed to hold 86,580 MWh of energy, and you can see that the battery’s current capacity at full charge is only 61,261 mWh, this indicates that the laptop’s battery only holds 70.8% of its original capacity when fully charged.
You can read also about How Many Watts To Charge A Laptop?.
Calibrating Your Battery
If your battery needs calibration, you may not find the information mentioned above particularly accurate. What calibration does is help the battery’s sensor to actually detect how much capacity was in the battery.
So if windows warn you about replacing the battery, try to calibrate it first before checking its actual wear level. Because you may end up replacing a perfectly good battery for no reason, thus wasting your money.
Why Your Laptop’s Battery Capacity Declines?
There are many factors that can contribute to this. You have to know that batteries do die eventually. This is not a surprise nor is it up normal. Even if you put your battery in a closet and never touch it, it will slowly lose its capacity over time due to aging.
But certainly, there are many things you can do to prolong its life span and make it last longer.
Tips for an extended-lasting laptop battery
Now we can give you some tips for extending your battery life, so try to follow them.
- The battery life is affected by many factors like active WiFi, the brightness of the screen, and watching videos. The battery consumes more power when more software programs are running actively.
- When you use a laptop as a primary desktop PC, the battery cycles may waste as it’s plugged all the time. But if it is plugged in an AC outlet, it doesn’t need the battery. So when you pop the battery out, your current battery life can be extended.
- You don’t have to buy the battery from its original manufacturer by paying a high price. Instead, you can find a third-party alternative by searching for the model and battery on the web. And you would find many third-party options which are less expensive.
How is the battery replacement cost determined?
Watt Hour (Whr)
This term refers to the amount of energy that a laptop uses per hour. You should check out your device and its power consumption per hour. The laptops which have high Whr ratings will need high-capacity batteries, which ultimately affect the price.
A battery’s mAh (milliamp-hours)
This term informs you about how much energy is stored in the battery which is related to battery capacity. Battery life mainly depends on high and low mAh.
For example, if you have a 5500 mAh battery, it will last twice as long as a 3000 mAh battery.
Most of the batteries that are available commercially have higher mAh than the manufacturers. They will be compatible and at the same price.
Amount of voltage (V)
Each laptop has an amount of electricity that it should receive in order to function well. This amount is measured by voltage. All the batteries have different rated voltages, but this difference does not lead to device incompatibility problems.
When you compare batteries, you will know things such as 4 cells, 6 cells, and 9 cells. Each cell has a different potential.
For example, the 9 cells model will offer you almost 50% more capacity than the 6 cells model, but it is not that simple.
When you compare different laptop batteries, a math operation with milliwatt hours provides you with several mAh with voltage. The 7.4V 3100mAh battery provides 22,940 milliwatt hours, which equates to 23 hours.
This calculation won’t always be 100% accurate. That is due to the different power requirements in each laptop.
Besides, operating systems and hardware components of laptops consume different amounts of power.
This means that Larger capacity batteries than other batteries are generally heavier, more productive, and have higher Whr.
And even if the form factor is equal, a 9-cell battery is heavier and more powerful than a 6-cell variety.
Laptop Battery Price by Brands
Here is a list of the average cost of laptop batteries from all major laptop brands. These are not constant and they can be changed due to many factors like models and other conditions.
These prices are according to the original manufacturer, meaning that other products can cost less money 20%-50% than the prices here.
- Cost of Acer Laptop Battery: A new battery would cost $50 to $110 and an old version would take $20-$50.
- Cost of Asus Laptop Battery: A new battery would cost $55 to $120 and an old version would take $25-$60.
- Cost of Dell Laptop Battery: A new battery would cost $80 to $130 and an old version would take $30-$70.
- Cost of HP Laptop Battery: A new battery would cost $50 to $140 and an old version would take $20-$60.
- Cost of Lenovo Laptop Battery: A new battery would cost $30 to $200 and an old version would take $25-$70.
- Cost of Toshiba Laptop Battery: A new battery would cost $45 to $95 and an old version would take $15-$30.
Cost of New MacBook Battery
A new battery starts at $129. The price can go up to $199 as mentioned on Apple’s official website. But, you can find other cheaper versions at a surprisingly low price ($50 to $100). These batteries may be compatible with a MacBook, but with these products, you cannot always expect very good performance.
How to Perform a Laptop Battery Replacement?
This is an easy process. After you buy your new laptop battery, it is time to replace it, so follow these steps:
- The first thing to do is create a battery report in the operating system you use about the battery issue.
- then, you have to remove all the connections that are linked to the power source.
- Put off the back panel by using a screwdriver.
- that is when you take out your old battery.
- Now, you need to connect the new battery with the power source.
- After that, put the back panel properly.
- Finally, Test the performance of a new battery.
But if the laptop has a non-removable battery, you must visit the original device manufacturer.
FAQs Of How Much Does It Cost to Replace a Laptop Battery
Can I use a laptop without a battery?
Actually, this is possible. All you need to do is remove the battery then connect it to the power supply so your machine would work.
Is it bad to leave your laptop plugged in all the time?
Plugging in your laptop all the time isn’t harmful to your battery. But proper care is necessary if you want a long-lasting battery, such as protecting the battery from the heat.
How many hours can we use a laptop continuously?
It depends on you. But you have to know that using the laptop all the time will damage the battery’s health sooner than later, so be careful.
Does replacing the laptop battery improve performance?
Laptop performance is not affected by a bad battery. The only effect it has on the computer, however, is that its lifespan is reduced.
We hope you have benefited from this guide and it helped you in your search to know more about batteries, their expected cost, and how to change them. If you have inquiries, don’t hesitate to reach us here. Good luck!